Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:42:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        aaweber@austin.rr.com (Alan Weber)
Cc:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACLs was disapointing security architecture

[Trim old context]

> I am not suggesting directory-only ACLs but want the file ACL to point to the
> directory ACL unless explicitly changed on a per file basis. I like the above
> scheme to reuse ACLs as one change can be efficiently propagated to a huge number
> of files versus having to fetch/update every file ACL in a directory hierarchy.

Apollo/Agies and Apollo Domain/OS implemented it something like this, only
I think the ACL's where stored as seperate UUID objects and files/directories
had pointers to them.  A UUID is kinda like an inode, but a lot more flexable
in what it can do.  They also had a utility known as salacl (salvage acl's)
that would walk a disk volume for all acl's and find ones that had the
same values, then collapse all the pointers to a minimum set of acl's.

In the early days of Apollo/Agies is you did not run salacl at least once
a week performance really started to suck.  Latter they improved the ACL
cache code and this became less of a problem unless you where doing lots
of changes to a volumes ACL's.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD