Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:26:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> > The machine is a pentium 120; maybe if things get worse sometime, the
> > hardware could be upgraded.  Contrary to popular belief, there are still a
> > large number of ctm users.
> >
> > I just didn't want folks to think that I would allow ctm to drift into
> > trouble.  I would *not* do that.
> I didn't want to imply that you would not attempt to provide service in spite
> of the fact that the load is constantly increasing and the hackers are ostrichs.
>
> Truthfully, I'm not sure what the minimum acceptable level of service would be.
> With so many users using "pull on demand", those left might be satisfied with
> once/day service, etc. Who knows?

Well, the load on cvsup is pretty minimal, and there's only one download
every 8 hours, it serves the ctm cvs tree, and the other ctm trails are
all users of the local cvs tree.

I think, honestly, that while you are right in essence, Richard, you're
proposing something that is too extreme for most of the porters to
accept.  The compromise worked out over ports, which is flattening out the
overweight directory structure, is going in the direction you're
advocating, just not so far as you would like.  I'm quite happy with
something that simulatneously reduces the load and keeps the current
flavor of the ports methods.

This kind of thing, if *really* wanted, is *very amenable to
demonstration.  One could quite simply write a translator script to change
the ports, one by one, into the system you propose, and also offer the
users a method to access it.  One could prove then that there was indeed
customer demand, by the most inarguable route (by really demonstating
it).  If it were proven, folks then would be truly unable to offer an
effective rebuttal.

Unfortunately, none of us wants this idea, it's sort of removing nice
details for programmers to meet a need we don't all believe in.  You could
prove us all wrong ... but you'd have to do that.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.