Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:54:58 -0700
From:      Joe Park <joep@doubletwist.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   keeping up to date with FreeBSD

Hello,

I have been refreshing my freebie manually, following instructions from
complete FreeBSD.  Now that I get more comfortable with this, I want it to
organize it and put it as cron job.  I have 3 machine running freebie, and
before I used to have source tree for each machine.  Seeing this as waste of
space and cpu power, I decided to have one machine to hold all sources and
other two machine to NFS mount on it. (the /usr/src directory).  On source
server machine, I got updates with cvsup, made world, and rebuilt kernel
successfully.  On client machine, I moved /usr/src to /usr/src_og and
created link to server's /usr/src mount point.  On Complete FreeBSD 3rd
edition, it says "make reinstall" is available for this purpose.  I was not
able to make reinstall, and looking at Makefile tells me that reinstall is
gone.  So, I tried "make install" and it was throwing errors -- can't fine
certain files.  Then I just tried "make world" and it worked.  My question
is, is there way to avoid "make world" again?  I already built the world, so
I don't see why I have to build it again on client machine.  Am I missing
something here?  I mounted /usr/obj directory to server's /usr/obj directory
just in case, but no differences.

Please enlighten me on this and CC to my email address.

Thank you.

Joe