Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:58:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> How about assigning each port number a userid which can bind with the
> port alongside root?
>
> Should be easy enough to implement, and powerful enough to not need suid
> root binaries to bind to priv'ed ports.

It is trivial to implement and, even given various workarounds, would be
handy but it needs some framework to slip nicely into.  sysctl isn't
really suited to it because it would need 1k entries which would make a
sysctl -a very long.

I use this on some boxes to allow things (eg. mail servers) to bind to
their port (eg. 25) without needing root, but I only implement it
hard-coded for the ports I need it for.