Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:15:30 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do SpamAssassin spamd and Obspamd  play nicely together?

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>Here's an example of one which I should probably track down in our SMTP
>logs to see if the delay was caused by something other than redelivery
>time on the remote SMTP server:

Obviously, I can't tell you if this particular entry has legitimate
reasons or not.  However, I think you mentioned in an earlier message
that you didn't believe that a delay of the magnitude of 19 hours ought
to be possible.   From a competent mail service, one would hope not, but
some months ago I found myself completely unable to send messages to
most FreeBSD mailing lists and debugged this with sterling help from
postmaster@.

My email provider could wait *days* before retrying an email which was
greylisted.  It took four days for a message to arrive in test@ and the
mail logs clearly showed them failing to retry at any kind of acceptable
interval.

For the record, this was my broadband provider blueyonder.co.uk - now
owned by Virgin - who were *no help whatsoever*.  Luckily, I have kept
up a dial-in provider as well and always used my email address from
them; they provide an authenticated SMTP gateway, so I'm not
disenfranchised any longer :-)  (They've recently been taken over by
Tiscali, so I hope that their previous standard of service keeps up).

Just a data point for the archives.  Great obspamd write-up too!

--Alex