Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:47:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some VMware progress. More questions (was Re: latest VMware port dumping core. )

[ On Monday, July 24, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote: ]

> It's looks like old problem with raw devices. Under FreeBSD it's impossible to
> get real configuration of hard drive. And gueses about that not always right.
>
> In you situation it has a sense to read  the file
> /usr/local/share/doc/vmware/Hints.FreeBSD and using not a raw device, but
> plain disk. Required numbers you could get from configuration file for raw
> device (and to do some work about substraction and addition on them).

OK. I read through this and modified the .hda file accordingly:

  DRIVETYPE       ide
  CYLINDERS       39560
  HEADS           16
  SECTORS         63
  ACCESS "/disk1/vmware/win98/disk.mbr" 0 63
  ACCESS "/dev/rad0s1" 63 15374204
  RDONLY "/dev/null" 15374204 39873329

like the text suggests pulling the geometry out of dmesg info and the other
config info from the slice editor in /stand/sysinstall for ad0.

With this file in place, I was able to boot win98 from my existing hard
drive. Windoze came up with the standard "searching for devices" bull crap and
I just waded through that hitting cancel.

I tried to install the VMware tools for win98. I followed all the procedures,
but at the point where I was supposed to change video card drivers, I got
stumped as the directions did not reflect reality as to what I was being
presented. A JPEG screen capture of what I read and saw is at:

 http://members.home.com/jjreynold/vmware_dump.jpg

As you can see, I've clicked on the "Advanced" button and Adapter tab. I really
want to click the "Change..." button but it's grayed out! Something bizzare is
going on here. As you can also see, the dialog box is titled "(unknown device)
properties". Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on here with this
install? Win98 was installed "bare bones" and immediately I made vmware its own
hardware configuration which I'm using as I boot from /dev/ad0s1 within vmware.

At this point, I'm basically screwed for video drivers that are better than
640x480 because I can't change anything.

General observations / questions:

 o It is PAINFULLY slow. If I ever get the VMware tools installed will that
   help? I've got TWO Pentium III 500Mhz CPUs and 256Mb of RAM in this machine
   and the vmware window running win98 seems like when I used to run Windows NT
   on a 486DX4 with slow ISA video card. With this much CPU, is the slowness I
   see with VMware typical? Do other users see this much slowness? What can be
   done to speed things up?

 o In vain, I tried to access my CD-ROM which is a scsi device sitting on ahc0
   target 3. If I tried to "install" this device inside the configuration
   editor I instantly get a core-dump the next time I try to "power on" the VM
   with the following message to the console:

      /: write failed, file system is full
      VMware Workstation PANIC: Slave process "SCSI0:3" died
      VMware Workstation PANIC: BUG F(566):524 bugNr=3728
      Panic loop

   Is anybody else able to access a scsi CD-ROM device? Am I doing it wrong?

 o Is there any URL for a FAQ for VMware-under-FreeBSD issues that is
   reasonably up-to-date?

This is really cool ... it made my wife drool seeing her beloved windows come
up under FreeBSD. Now hopefully I can get the information on the knobs to turn
to fine tune all this stuff and make it more "livable" ...

Thanks,

-Jr

ps: I just CVSUP'ed ports and see that the vmware port was updated to 2.0.2.621
and I have 2.0.1.570 loaded. I'll download and reinstall this to see if it
helps at all.....