Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:39:42 +0100
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ral(4) on 8-RC1

On Monday 05 Oct 2009 00:28:20 you wrote:
> maxpower are expressed as dBm.

Thanks for that and the pointers to get the channels right. A temporary
hack in net80211 was trivial and I can take my time with the ral end of
things. I believe Kip Macy was the last to look at ral in-depth, around the
time support was added for gen 2 chipset, although I can't seem to find the
code that was in p4 at that time. It was a while ago...

> I had problems w/ the iwi firmware on 64-bit so set the build to i386
> only.  The problems I had were relocation errors and noone could help;
> if those are gone then building the fw image for amd64 should be fine.
> Whether the driver works is another matter...

The iwi driver seems to work for normal operation with the caveat that
802.11s is never going to work, but that's noted on the wiki anyway. I
haven't been able to get Kismet to work (it used to on i386 on the iwi)
although that may be down to PEBKAC in not fully understanding the 802.11
architectural changes in 8. I'll hammer the thing for a few more days, see
if I can find any regression tests to apply to this setup and maybe move it
to a different machine to ensure it works in multiple environments. This
is, however, exactly the same hardware that failed to work with 7.1 amd64,
so I'm pretty confident that it should be consistent.

I'm torn between decent support for most things on ral and dual band and a
more sensitive radio, to the order of around 5dB in the same location, on
iwi. I'm tempted to just get an Atheros a/b/g card and be done with it.
Oxford Tech have some AR5414/AR5006XS cards for reasonable money.

Thanks for your help, Sam.

Best regards,
--
Matt Dawson