Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:05:35 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <dcj-dated-1030485342.imiehjki@palomine.net>
To:        Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:03:34PM +0200, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> I have read a lot of replys to this mail, with arguments for and
> against a subscriber-only list, and so far I have not seen the
> against side come up with one single valid argument.

Here's one: whenever I post a message on a public list, I use an expiring
address. The address in the From header of this message will work for five
days; after that, any mail sent to it will bounce. Every message I post has
a different address, depending on when I post it. This allows me to post
freely in public places with a real address that people can respond to (for
a while) without the risk of being abused by harvesters.

This may not be to some people's liking, but the qmail list requires every
message sent to it to be confirmed by the sender. This has completely
eliminated spam from the list with only a small inconvenience to the users
of the list. It avoids the problem of people who post with multiple
addresses being unable to post that a subscriber-only list has, and some of
the regular list members have automated the job of responding to the
confirmation messages so that there's no inconvenience at all.

Chris Johnson