Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 08:05:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, obrien@FreeBSD.org, "Michael C. Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

On 10-May-2002 Matthew Dillon wrote:

>:>
>:>     Vendor imported code (e.g. KAME(sigh..), USB, possibly 1394,
>:>     cardbus, possibly some userland important tools and libraries)
>:>     would have little or no diffs from the original vendor's code..
>:
>:Erm, all the changes so far aren't in API's, but rather changing the size
>:of types like time_t.  The same KAME code would compile fine.
>:
>:--
>:
>:John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
>
>     Huh?  Changing the size of time_t sure sounds like an API change to me!
>     <GRIN>.  Which was my original point... though I was considering those
>     ports which might not be 64-bit-time_t friendly (probably hundreds).

It's not one that other source needs to be changed for though.  It's not like
you've changed the prototypes of functions.  Instead, you've changed the binary
representation of certain types.  We don't need to use the old ABI's for vendor
code like Michael suggested because vendor code will compile just fine with the
newer one.