Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:59:20 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

Hi,

[cc'd to -advocacy, please trim responses as appropriate]

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 09:44:12AM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > I suspect that everything we do to improve Mozilla will be credited to
> > the "Linux development model"
>
> The development model that they are about to use is very similar to the
> FreeBSD development model. CVS, online sources, areas of responsibility
> with commit access...

I don't know about anyone else here, but I've been following (speed reading
:) some of the mozilla.org mailing lists, and my impression of their project
is that it is going to take them at least a few months to settle into a
development model. There is still a lot of worship of people @netscape.com,
(much like FreeBSD does with -core ;), and there are big problems between
the Linux and Windows groups. The Linux guys want a 'killer app' and the
Windows guys want IE4.

I would really like to see them 'encouraged' into a FreeBSD model. I think
that the importance of mozilla.org lies in publicity, not in it becoming a
'killer app'. The project has a very high media status, and will attract
more companies to look into open source software. If they develop a
fanatical Linux type structure then it will make people weary, and if they
just try to emulate M$, then people would rather go straight to Bill. But if
they see a level headed, mature organisation, with committed people and a
bossiness like manner (which I believe FreeBSD has most of the time ;), then
companies will be willing to forge ties (and Netscape might not can the
project).

I'm not sure what I could do to help. John, you say there are behind the
scenes communications. Are these to do with helping them set up CVS, etc?

My wish is that FreeBSD would leverage (now there's a nice marketing word :)
their existing worldwide mirrors to make an 'instant' worldwide mozilla.org
(ie cvsup.za.mozilla.org, etc), by making pointers in mozilla.org's DNS to
freebsd.org's and getting the FreeBSD mirror sites to mirror Mozilla (via
CVS and FTP tarballs of the source and binaries). We could do this quickly
and it wouldn't consume much resources (not as much as say the distfiles or
packages). We could also help them set up GNATS, www mirrors, cvsweb
interfaces, and other infrastructure to help them. FreeBSD's mirror
infrastructure is something that none of the Linux distributions can offer,
although we must not stop them from using other mirror sites and especially
from weaning themselves off our infrastructure.

As for advocacy, I've found in my short life that the best way to make
friends is to give without asking in return. If they want to thank us for
the help then that is up to them, but if they don't then we don't help them
so much. I think the current netscape people within mozilla.org are clever
enough to know that. If we go with "you can have my toy, but only if you
promise to be my friend" blackmail, then it will put them off. We could ask
them after doing it, and it is working, if they wouldn't mind making a joint
press release. We could also ask for a FreeBSD developer(s) to be given
access to their CVS tree to be responsible for the FreeBSD version of
Mozilla. And in the future when we politely ask Netscape why the FreeBSD
version of Communicator is not officially supported we'd get a much
friendlier response.

Just my 2c,
 -Jeremy

PS. I think that a FreeBSD-Mozilla CVS tree should still be maintained (on
bento), so that FreeBSD developers who want to work on Mozilla can
coordinate/test their work before submitting it back to mozilla.org.

--
.sig.gz