Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:15:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019540560.0e0250@mired.org>
Cc:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>, mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: MBR, mfsroot.flp, handbook, and list fail me.. FRUSTRATION!!!!!

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <20020411200205.B76458-100000@earl-grey.cloud9.net>, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> typed:
> > Can a command similar to 'boot0cfg -B ad0' be issued effectively while logged in regularly to the box, as root, or must I boot to a floppy?
> You have to be root.

You answered one part of a two-part question.  Can I be logged in regularly
as root, or must I boot up to a floppy or CDROM to repair the MBR to my liking?

> > Is there any risk of munging an entire system when tossing around fdisk and bootcfg commands?  Do I have to "relabel" slices as bootable in /stand/sysinstall or just use `fdisk -B [device containing Fbsd OS here]` ?
> boot0cfg should be save. If you give the wrong argument to fdisk, you can destroy the partition information.
> <mike
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

I don't know what I'm doing, and the instructions for boot0cfg and fdisk
are NOT COMPLETE (the handbook is very lacking in this department too).
When I recently got the boot0cfg command to run, it told me "Device busy."

To reiterate what I am trying to do -- My computer has just one HD, but
(among others) the two partitions listed below:

/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1 on /msdos (msdos, local)

IS there a command to use the standard MBR manager (no F1, F2, etc.. menu)
*and* boot directly, automatically to /dev/ad0s2a but keep /dev/ad0s1
(/msdos) mountable?  THANKS. *sigh* *grumble*

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder