Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:36:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continual DNS requests from mysterious IP

On Mon, 31 Jan 100 mwlucas@exceptionet.com wrote:
> You want to tell your system to not use the default BIND, but your custom
> one instead.  That's why you use /etc/rc.conf to tell your system which
> BIND to use.

I'd rather keep the system clean and free from old versions of software,
it's easier to maintain that way and doesn't violate the KIS principle.
Configuration files are good to keep backups of, which is why I have RCS
directories under /etc, /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/apache, ... however I
can't think of a good reason for keeping old, unused software on a system.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting