Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 01:03:58 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Sean O'Connell <sean@stat.duke.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, gregsmith59@hotmail.com, Brian.Dean@sas.com
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Qs: Victory at last!

The Babbler wrote:

All reety, all righty!

I've got my gateway/firewall up & running under FreeBSD.

Thank you to everybody for all the help.

The secret was to change the interrupts.

Here was the problem:

FreeBSD was assigning IRQ 5 to the Linksys card.  It's not obvious why
this was problematic, since a "dmesg | grep irq" didn't reveal any other
uses of IRQ 5.  However, Linux used IRQ 9 for the same card.  I went
into the pccard.conf file and forced the use of IRQ 9 and pow! it
worked.

Note that this is not an argument for changing the default pccard.conf
file since the same card works fine with the default pccard.conf in my
other laptop.  My guess is that there's some other device (soundcard is
my first guess) in the Hyperbook that uses IRQ 5.  It's not known to
FreeBSD, so the 'default' IRQ assignment doesn't know to skip it, but
the other device (whatever it is) generates interrupts periodically and
blocks the IRQs from the card.

But that's speculative; what I *know* is that it now works, and I'm
quite happy about that.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org