Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:06:51 -0500
From:      David Banning <david+dated+1140624411.1fb9f0@skytracker.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mail port 8025 conundrum

I have a strange problem where port 8025 is blocked on my server.

Trying to connect with telnet, here is the response;

david$ telnet banning.ca 8025
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Yet I host 6 other domains on the same server, and all the others seems
to be fine;

david$ telnet optexstaging.com 8025
Trying 209.161.205.12...
Connected to optexstaging.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 3s1.com ESMTP tmda-ofmipd
quit

It makes no difference whether I enable the firewall or not.
Strangely I -can- connect to banning.ca via port 25 or 110;

david$ telnet banning.ca 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to banning.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 3s1.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8p1/8.12.8; Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:06:04 -0500 (EST)

To my knowledge, there is nothing that stops a connection to a specific

The only change to my system is that I registered -all- 7 of the domain
names with a new outside DNS server. It could be that there is some
stale DNS going on, but DNS would be the same for all ports, would
it not?

Looking at the erroneous message, I see that banning.ca is being directed
to 127.0.0.1 - why would that happen?

Any direction would be helpful.