Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:00:08 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stat counters for interfaces.

--ILuaRSyQpoVaJ1HG

A few months ago I added a struct if_data to struct ifaddr for keeping
stats on a per interface address basis.  Not all protocols current use
this though, and not all values are meaningful.

What I'd like to do is preload the members that aren't being used with
-1, and then detect this in 'netstat -in' and print '-' instead of '0'.

Does this make sense, or is it a hack :) ?  The members of this
structure carrying statistics are currently u_long, and so maybe I
should use ULONG_MAX instead?

Any opinions?

Joe

--ILuaRSyQpoVaJ1HG