Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:53:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fortran users anywhere?

> Don't shoot me; I'm not the guilty party...
>
> I'm looking for anyone that has any experience with (and maybe documentation
> for) the f2c fortran->C translator that's used by the 'f77' gcc frontend.
>
> I see the reference in the manpage to one of the UTS manuals - are these
> generally available?

UNIX Timesharing System

No, they aren't generally available, at least not as originals.

I personally used Ultrix and AT&T FORTRAN manuals when hacking up the
shell scripts.  They are both hacked versions of the UTS manuals (the
AT&T version less hacked, and somewhat less useful).

I've use the thing to compile up simulation software for relativistically
invariant P-P, P-N, and N-N collisions, and to apply physical models
as the soloution to a set of 13 irreducable Feynman-Dyson diagrams
as part of a theoretical confirmation for experimental data regarding
the energy range of the carrier of the weak force (Dr. Jay Phippen's
work).

The resulting code on a Sun SS2+ was facter than the native FORTRAN
on a VAX 8800 with vector processor by about a factor of 10, and the
output was identical, once I hacked the random functions in for the
Montecarlo for the event generator (they are missing from the FORTRAN
library that comes with the package).

> (I have the Bell Labs CSTR 149 document, but this covers f2c's internals
>  rater than its usage.)

It's pretty vanilla UNIX F77.  I believe there are version of the
UTS documents still available from UNIX Press.  If you had asked me
two years ago, I could have sent you an old copy.  8-(.

If you can dig up an old Ultrix FORTRAN manual, you will have pretty
much what you need.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---