Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:25:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

Mike Smith said:

> > I much prefer sysctl, being a convert from the kernfs camp.  Procfs
> > is just bogus, not well thought out re-invention (IMO.)  It seems that
> > the pseudo-MIB scheme of sysctl is nice.
>
> Personally, I like the basic idea (unified hierarchical namespace,
> method-based access, etc), but sysctl (and kernfs') implementation is
> unpleasantly inflexible.

Our sysctl is really easy to do all kinds of neat things.  Try adding
a sysctl entry vs. a procfs (or kernfs) entry.  In fact, I am about
to add about 50 sysctl's, and the amount of control that the sysctl
mechanism allows is staggering.  Sysctl can provide both method
and variable access easily.  To me it makes no sense to put something
like this under a mount point.  If it needs to be globally exported,
make it an SNMP MIB.

> I'm also swayed in that we *do* need to follow the Linux lead at least
> to the point where we can run their binaries with a reasonable degree
> of success, so there's a little pressure on the border.

I would only believe so for the limited needs for Linux emulation.  Note
that we do have kernfs, it is just in mothballs.  I was a convert from
the FS methodology to the sysctl methodology, and with our much better
sysctl API (both in kernel and user) it is quite usable.  (I had
to add some sysctl's under NetBSD, and it was very primitive.)