Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 13:56:32 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        <rising-star@runbox.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dual Homed Hosts

How are these two machines connected? How do you connect to the
internet? Take for example a situation at my location. I use the
rl0 interface for the local network on a 192.168.0.x address and
the internet connection is user ppp. User ppp assignes an address
to the tun0 (tunnel interface). This gives me a situation of this:

[Alpha]
DHCP assigned internet ip address
Network Address Translation Daemon
rl0 interface (192.168.0.1) to local ethernet.

This config gives all of my network access to the internet on the
private IP addresses I give them. And its without configuration.

There are other popular ways to connect to the internet. One such
solution is an external (CABLE/DSL) connection that just plugs
into the hub. In this case, the router would do network address
translation for you.

[HUB]
|||+--- Broadband adapter <-> Internet IP address
||+---- Machine #1 <-> with private address
|+----- Machine #2 <-> with private address
+------ (more machines) <-> with private address

Other methods of connection are that your internet connection has
an interface that plugs into your BSD box. Here is an example of
that.

Internet connection <-> YourBSDbox <-> Your private network that
						 includes your private server