Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:04:36 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

   Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>

   On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Joel N. Weber II wrote:

   > I think about a third of the K-12 students attend private schools here.

   I'm kinda assuming you mean "here", "you're local region".  If
   you mean "here", "Hawaii", then that's a heck of a lot of people.

The area I mean by `here' is actually Oahu, which is the most populated
island in the state of Hawaii.  (I think the population is over a million.)

There are about a half dozen Lutheran elemntary schools here, and one
Lutheran high school.  Many of the people who go those schools aren't
Lutheran.  (My understanding is that in some parts of the mainland,
there are Lutheran schools in a similar arrangement, except that
I think in those schools tend to be mostly Lutheran students.)

And several other religous groups have their collections of schools
as well.

The school I attend (Iolani) is affiliated with the Episcopal church,
although that's mostly historical, and I think most students at Iolani
are probably atheists.  (Although we are requrired to attend chapel
once a week.)

I've just realized that most of the private schools here do seem to
have religous affiliations.

I'm not sure what percentage of students do attend private schools,
but I'm sure it's well over 10%.

I'm not really sure how many private vs public schools exist on the
other islands.  I get the impression that there are very few
private schools on other islands.