Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:46:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        babbleon@mercury.interpath.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound questions: ESS688 (SB Pro)

> > I have an ESS688 sound chip, which is a SoundBlaster Pro compatible.  Both
> > "Dark Forces" and Linux find it to be a perfectly adaquate SoundBlaster, but
> > I'm having a wee bit of trouble with FreeBSD.
>
> Oh, joy.  AudioDrive.  :)
>
> > The usual "LINT" line for SB looks like:
> >
> >     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
> >
> > But mine is on i/o 3, so I changed it to:
>
> What is i/o 3?  That means nothing.  IRQ 3, you mean?  Or DMA 3?  Or port
> address 0x230?  Please be more specific.

He shows IRQ 7 and DRQ 3 on his config line:

> >     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 3 vector sbintr

8-).

IRQ 7 is the "garbage" interrupt, where bad hardware sends interrupts
to die (much as elephants seek out The Elephant's Graveyard).

Put not hardware on IRQ 7, except printer ports, which like to live
there by default and can work around getting random crap.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.