Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:16:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mosaic-linux-2.6b2 mostly works

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Brian Litzinger wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 00:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Mosaic-linux-2.6b2 mostly works
>
> Mosaic-linux-2.6b2 mostly works under the linux emulator that was
> recently posted for xdoom.
>
> However, it get the error messages:
>
> resolv+: "hosts" is an invalid keyword
> resolv+: "bind" is an invalid keyword
>
> and Mosiac is unable to do hostname to ip resolution.
>
> I.E. everything works find as long as you use IP numbers.
>
> Have I got something configured wrong?

well, yes and no.  Linux uses a different format for their
/etc/host.conf file. If you look in your /etc/host.conf you will see
amongst some comments the two lines:

hosts
bind

which are confusing to linux' resolv+.  the quick fix is to
mv /etc/host.conf //etc/host.conf.bsd

by the way Netscape works too.

> Thanks,
>
> Brian Litzinger