Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:34:23 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD_Questions FreeBSD_Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd Theme Song

On Dec 10, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> But anyway, FreeBSD 6.0 is hugely superior to 5.4 and 4.11 in
> filesystem performance.  I have been measuring this carefully for the
> past couple of months and hope to have the paper out soon.

For instance in 5.4 the fastest I could write to my /usr/ partition
on a simple default-partitioned UDMA100 drive was 16 MB/sec with a
2.8 GHz P4 while it was capable of reading at over 40 MB/sec. Saw
RELENG_6 writing on that partition at over 40 MB/sec recently.
Unscientific tests using "systat -v" and moving big files.

A gvinum striped volume on two SATA150 drives routinely produces 70
MB/sec reads and writes.

Its nice that FreeBSD is now close to the hardware's performance. One
nit is that with such a large sustained access other small accesses
are starved. Probably a scheduler issue, and I'm sure the scheduler
is being worked on.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net