Date:      Sat, 05 May 2018 08:26:06 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes -- can't install pkg

On Fri, 04 May 2018 22:57:52 -0700 <bsd-lists@BSDforge=2Ecom> said

> I just setup a jail from a 12-CURRENT I built awhile ago=2E It has no ports
> tree=2E So I'm attempting
> to install svnlite=2E issuing pkg search svnlite returns
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system=2E
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest=
,
> please wait=2E=2E=2E
> Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg=2Efreebsd=2Eorg=2E2013102301=2E=2E=
=2E
> done
> [12current=2Elocalhost] Installing pkg-1=2E10=2E5=2E=2E=2E
> Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg:
> To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=3Dyes
> - package: 1200062
> - running kernel: 1200054
> Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]:
>=20
> Umm, what? Should I ignore this error? If so, why is there an error at al=
l?
> I answered no=2E Guess I won't be able to use pkg(8) on this jail(8)=2E :-(
>=20
> --Chris
OK the only reference[1] I can find regarding this, indicates that answerin=
g "Y"
to Allow missmatch now? resulted in an ABI mismatch that caused pkg(8) to b=
unusable=2E
This is on an older version of 12, so I don't have anything that might have
appeared in UPDATING=2E I really need this jail to resolve accumulating pr(1)=
's
on ports(7) I maintain=2E

Thank you=2E

--Chris

1 https://unix=2Estackexchange=2Ecom/questions/430038/installed-incompatible-pk=
g-version-how-to-uninstall-or-fix-otherwise