Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:41:52 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        soward@service1.uky.edu, smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, John Soward wrote:
>

> > I too have had excellent luck with this motherboard (and I too bought mine

> > from Atipa, though I had somewhat less luck there ;-). I am not using the s
    mp
> > code (yet), but I've had NT4, FreeBSD2.1.5, current, DOS, Win95, and NEXTST
    EP
> > on it. The only things that have irked me were the need to get an ATX case,
     and

> 	ATX case?

yeah, a long overdue idea.  Basically, it's a standard form factor
defining the shape, size etc of motherboards and has the connectors on the
rear edge (serial, parallel, mouse, kbd etc) rather than floating on
ribbon cables.  The cpu is moved to a standard location to the right of
the slots, directly in the airflow through the power supply.  This means
there are no obstructions in front of the slots, which are generally all
full length..

Typically, this means that you take a standard baby-AT motherboard, rotate
it 90 degrees anti-clockwise, and rotate the slot connectors back so they
are in the same position as before.

For a sample of what they look like, a (large) ATX motherboard can be seen
on:
http://www.tyan.com/s1668.htm and http://www.tyan.com/s1668i.jpg
(no comment on the motherboard, this was just the first ATX picture I
could find in my bookmarks :-)

> Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
> Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org

Cheers,