Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 06:07:19 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com, FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Scott.Smallie@anheuser-busch.com
Subject:   Re: Stackable filesystems and SunOS 4.1.1

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Do I have to proxy the grotesqueries that are the cookie interface,
> instead of spliting the directory lookup, directory entry copyout,
> the nameifree() asymmetry, etc.?  Then it's about twice the work.

I agree that the way the path buf is being freed is bogus.  This becomes
obvious when you look at vop_abortop implementations for ffs, ext2fs, etc.

IMHO, if you freshen up your nameifree() patches without changing goto
label names, exit points, whitespace style, and variables names in the
FreeBSD source base; then you will have a better chance of getting the
code committed.

It makes it easier to review the patches and it will also be easier to
track enhancements from other BSDs if you do it this way.

Also, I think testset was a pretty cool tool for testing these changes.
Did you port it to current?  I used this as a base for testvn.  Check out
~mch on freefall.

Regards,

Mike Hancock