Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:30:02 +0200
From:      Hank Hampel <lists@niamodnikufesin.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: coldsync-2.2.5 w/Palm m130 via USB ?

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J

Hi Gary!

On (020925), G.E. Rafe wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 running 4.6-R
> to talk to a Palm m130 via its USB cradle.

Having done nearly the same thing on a not so different configuration
(Toshiba Satellite 1700-400 and Palm m125) I think I can help you.

> I've managed to get coldsync-2.2.5 to compile without complaint

I also tried to use coldsync for this (to work together with JPilot)
but after a while I switched to pilot-link.

> and find that the kernel seems to recognize the device when the
> HotSync button is pressed:
> 	ugen0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 5

This is the first problem as you can't use the generic USB driver for
this purpose. You need to get the driver for ucom (latest additions to
the USB driver from Josef Karthauser) - I don't know if it is in
4.6.2-R but it's definitly not in 4.6-R.

So at least upgrade the USB drivers so that you get a ucom driver
(which emulates seriral port behaviour for USB devices).

> I've given "pilot-link" a try on the system, too,
> and was just as unsuccessful.

You need to use the latest version of pilot-link (at least 0.11.3) to
get working USB support for FreeBSD. Check the configure output to be
sure to get USB support compiled in.

After that you can use /dev/ucom0 as the device to sync the pilot and
with JPilot it works like a charm for me.

Best regards, Hank

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J

--Izn7cH1Com+I3R9J--