Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   can not mount root :( -- hardwired SCSI?

I  tried to  upgrade my  -stable  machine after  a couple  of months  of
uptime. Whatever the kernel I build now (from May 26 sources) refuses to
mount / and panics. I see  "switching to /dev/da0s1a", then to /dev/da0a
and then panicing... I'm using the May 26 snapshot's generic kernel, but
I have  to manualy load  ccd.ko with it,  and it is  1 Mb bigger  then I
need.

The only things I  can see, that I try to do  different from GENERIC (or
LINT)  are disabling  the stuff  I don't  have AND  hardwiring the  SCSI
devices.

Can someone confirm the hardwired SCSI disks (including the one with the
root FS) work with the recent 3.2-STABLE?

Here is the config file I once made from the LINT, which I've been using
with minor modifications for a long time. Thanks for any hints!

	-mi

machine		"i386"
ident		RTFM
maxusers	128
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
config		kernel	root on da0

cpu		"I586_CPU"		# aka Pentium(tm)

# CPU_DISABLE_5X86_LSSER disables load store serialize (i.e. enables
# reorder).  This option should not be used if you use memory mapped
# I/O device(s).
#
# CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU enables faster FPU exception handler.

options		"CPU_DISABLE_5X86_LSSER"
options		"CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU"
options		"NO_F00F_HACK"
options		"COMPAT_43"

options		USER_LDT		#allow user-level control of i386 ldt

options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG
options		"MD5"
options		"VM86"
options		KTRACE			#kernel tracing
#options		INVARIANTS
#options		INVARIANT_SUPPORT
#options		DIAGNOSTIC
#options		PERFMON
options		UCONSOLE

options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor

options		INET			#Internet communications protocols
pseudo-device	ether			#Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device	loop			#Network loopback device
pseudo-device	bpfilter 2		#Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	tun	2		#Tunnel driver (user process ppp(8))

options		FFS			#Fast filesystem
options		NFS			#Network File System

options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device

options		SOFTUPDATES

options		NSWAPDEV=6

options		"P1003_1B"
options		"_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
options		"_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

controller	eisa0
controller	ahc0

controller	scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
controller	scbus1 at ahc0 bus 1

disk da0 at scbus0 target 1
disk da1 at scbus0 target 2
disk da2 at scbus0 target 3
disk da3 at scbus0 target 6
disk da4 at scbus1 target 3
disk da6 at scbus1 target 6

device		cd0	#SCSI CD-ROMs
device		od0	#SCSI optical disk
device		sa0	#SCSI tapes
device		pass0	#CAM passthrough driver

device pt0 at scbus?	# SCSI processor type
device sctarg0 at scbus? # SCSI target

pseudo-device	pty	256	#Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
pseudo-device	speaker		#Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
pseudo-device	gzip		#Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	vn		#Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device	ccd	3	#Concatenated disk driver

# Size of the kernel message buffer.  Should be N * pagesize.
#options		"MSGBUF_SIZE=40960"

controller	isa0

options		"AUTO_EOI_1"
options		"AUTO_EOI_2"

controller	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD tty
device		atkbd0	at isa? tty irq 1
device		psm0	at isa? tty irq 12
device		vga0	at isa? port ? conflicts

# Splash screen at start up!  Screen savers require this too.
pseudo-device	splash

device		sc0	at isa? tty
options		MAXCONS=12		# number of virtual consoles

# To include support for VESA video modes
# Dont use together with SMP!!
#options		VESA			# needs VM86 defined too!!

device		npx0	at isa? port IO_NPX iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty flags 0x10 irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio2	at isa? port "0x2e8" tty flags 0x10 irq 11 vector siointr

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10

controller	snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330

options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

controller	ppbus0
controller	vpo0	at ppbus?
device		nlpt0	at ppbus?

controller	ppc0	at isa? port ? cam irq 7

options		COMPAT_LINUX