Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:40:05 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Several questions that I can't seem to find on answers to on Google

On Fri 2001-03-02 (13:36), Charles Burns wrote:
> 1) Whenever I boot now, I get the message "recovering vi editor
> sessions:sendmail:not found"
> I assume that these are two separate messages and that someone just forgot
> the \n or something. Anyway, what vi editor sessions? I rarely use vi.

You've somehow deleted /usr/sbin/sendmail.  That's a bad idea.  It's the
way programs generally deliver mail on Unix (some use /usr/lib/sendmail,
but that's obviously wrong *grin*).  If sendmail were present, you'd not
get the error message, and the message would look just fine.

nvi, the vi that FreeBSD comes with in the base, allows for editor
sessions to be recovered (basically just reminds people they were
editing them on boot-up).  It only shows that message if there were
editor sessions to be recovered.  Fix the sendmail thing, and you'll
get an email about what to do.

> 2) How on earth do I get rid of Sendmail? Whenever I delete sendmail, it
> breaks build world. Furthermore, why is it installed by default? It seems to
> be deeply imbedded in FreeBSD. I would think that, if anything, FreeBSD
> would install Qmail but I would really greatly prefer if I had the option of
> not installing any MTA.
> I have tried disabling sendmail in rc.conf.

An operating system isn't very operational without some form of MTA.
Since FreeBSD has always come with sendmail, it'll probably stay using
sendmail by default for some time.  qmail, postfix, exim, and others are
available in ports, and at least qmail and postfix know how to use
mailwrapper to become the default MTA (make enable-qmail for qmail, and
make replace for postfix, in the ports directory).

mailwrapper is actually what /usr/sbin/sendmail is.  man mailwrapper for
more information.

> 3) It seems that randomely when I make a new kernel, when it initializes
> IPFW and says "(stuff), IPDIVERT DISABLED, default to deny, etc., etc.) but
> the kernel config file clearly has "OPTIONS IPDIVERT". Is another kernel
> option conflicting with this? (I'll post a partial config file if needed)

Are you sure you're booting the kernel you've just built and installed?

> 4) Where can I get information in FreeBSD's weird hard drive device naming
> configuration?

In the first place you look to find FreeBSD information, the FreeBSD
handbook.  Check http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/disks-naming.html, or
/usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-naming.html on your FreeBSD machine.

> 5) Speaking of that, some docs said that IDE devices are always named
> wd(xxxxx), but my / is "ad0". Is root an exception? Why?

Which docs are these?  They should change, and point to the disk naming
conventions above.

> 7) Has anyone had any problems with PGCC?
> Note that I have noticed a general dislike for strong optimizations in the
> FreeBSD community from reading web pages and the like. I like strong
> optimizations, especially for important programs like gzip, bz2, gcc, and
> ipfw.

I've never tried to get pgcc to work on FreeBSD, but my advice is to
skip high optimisation if you value stability.  And if you value support
- not many people (if any) will check out problems for you if you use
optimisations and refuse to attempt to reproduce those problems
without optimisation.  I've seen the problems, and they're not worth it.

(and optimising the code of the ipfw program won't do much, nor I
imagine would it do anything at all for the kernel code)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org