Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:41:17 -0800
From:      Torben Brosten <torben@kappacorp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/make install, err code 1

I'm trying to install x11 and kde.

uname -a
FreeBSD huey.localhost 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 14 07:55:43 PDT
2003  root@huey.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HUEY i386

background:

The system was loaded via CD as a 4.6-release, and then was successfully cvsup'd
and make/install world/kernel to 4.8-stable via ftp.

I first tried using /stand/sysinstall to install the ports, but decided to try
cvsup after it couldn't find the distribution tree. I've tried variations of
4.8-stable in the options area without success.

then, I used pkg_add -r /usr/ports/x11/kde (and a few other packages)
#I know pkg_add to be a mistake now. That's not how to do it =(

then:
cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile #generic ports-supfile with different mirror
I think the new source has been loaded.

got some error 1 codes where error message suggested to 'make deinstall' 'make
reinstall', so did the following:

cd /usr/ports
make clean
make deinstall
#all seemed to work without errors

next did:
cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
make reinstall

after about 5 minutes of compiling, am getting a series of '*** Error code 1'
apparently starting with:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: Undefined symbol
"FT_Get_PS_Font_Info"
*** Error code 1

questions:

Is there a way to fix this without having to resort to installing ports from
scratch?

If not, how can I get a clean ports to work? Just cd /usr/ports, rm -r *, then
cvsup ports-file again, or ?

thanks in advance,

Torben