Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:19:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, gavinb@supranet.net
Subject:   Re: Problems with Sysinstall

>Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:17:39 -0600
>From: Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>

>  Here's another oddity.  I am running the machine fine, I run setup,
>install, add packages and recompile the kernel.  Upon reboot, any changes
>that I made to ethernet cards remain so all is fine.  However, I then go
>into rc.conf.site (where did this come from anyway?  Why can't we just edit
>rc.conf like usual??) change a few values, and reboot.  Upon reboot all the
>stuff is reset to defaults and I have lost my initial configuration.  It is
>almost like the thing is reading it's defaults from /etc/rc.conf, and
>writing its results to rc.conf.site?  Anyone else see this happening?

Yup; that's pretty much what is happening.

Please see the archives from the recent weekend (onward); that's been a
topic of much discussion of late.

There's also an /etc/rc.conf.local that will be sourced, as well (if it
exists) by default.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621