Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:30:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hanai@astec.co.jp, doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warning: SGML doc changes

[is core interested in this?  If not, responders cut core from
 the cc list]

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> It looks ok but I only took a glance.  The only thing I could find was
> that the mailto: urls (look at the Core Team roster etc.) seem mangled

Those are mangled for an unrelated reason; just ignore that.

> The tweaks that are in /usr/ports/japanese/groff. ;)
>
> Also, I heard sgmlfmt needs to call groff with "-T nippon" instead of
> "-T ascii".  (The modified groff works exactly like the original
> unless it's called with "-T nippon".)

Okay, that makes three possible work orders for groff:

  1. Upgrade to 1.10
  2. Make it grok Japanese
  3. Upgrade the mm macros

The last must be done regardless; the version currently in
current has some catastrophic bugs, never mind beind 9 versions
behind what is currently available.

As for the handbook itself, you suggest putting the new stuff in
jp_JP.EUC.  It would follow that the english should then go in
en_??.ISO_8859-1.  The "foreign" directories have translated
versions of various files.  When generating a handbook for a
particular language, the english versions will serve as a
fallback of no native translation is identified for a particular
part.

I'm curious about the make world scenario for this.  Do we
generate all possible language versions always, or just one
based on the value of LANG at build time?

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================