Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:40:02 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@Network-Alchemy.COM>
To:        Kurt Joseph Windisch <kurtw@network-services.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCARD on Digital HiNote Ultra 2000

> First, is anyone else using this notebook who can swap notes with me?

One of my partner's has one of those running 2.2.6.  He's stuck doing
some Win95 crud on it right now, but we did get 226 up.

> With the standard 2.2.6 distribution (no PAO):
>  1. The computer has an integrated Xircom 10/100+56K LAN/Modem card on it's
>     own internal controller.  pccardd sees the card (pccardc dumpcis output
>     below) but I cant' get any configuration to work. If nothing else,
>     can it be configured as a modem-only?  Anyone have a pccard.conf
>     entry?  There is a Xircom Combo modem-only config in the pccard.conf.sample
>     but any variation that I've tried gives me a "driver allocation failed"
>     error.

We didn't even try.  If you get it working, please drop me a line.

>  2. The integrated Xircom seems to be on it's own controller, occupying slot 0.

That's what we've determined as well.

>     When I insert a 3Com 3C589D LAN card in the normal slots, the kernel
>     reports that a card was inserted in slot 3, but pccardd doesn't
>     see it or configure it.  When I run 'pccardc dumpcis' it reports
>     only "2 slots found", which seem to be on the controller for the
>     integrated LAN/Modem, not the user-accessable ones.

The external slots are on the second controller. You need to:

  cd /dev/; ./MAKEDEV card2 card3

and restart pccardd.

>     Do I need to configure multiple controllers in the kernel?  What should
>     this config look like?

The stock PCCARD config already has two pcic's configured, so you shouldn't
need to change it if you've cloned PCCARD.

> Docking issues:

Don't have a dock, so I don't know for sure.  I'd just go ahead and
add pcic2 and pcic3 to your kernel and then ./MAKEDEV for /dev/cards4-7.

> PAO issues:

I'm no help here

[big snip]

> # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> # NOTE - I don't know what the correct config is here.  This is a stab
> #        in the dark to try and make both controllers (the integrated
> #        LAN/Modem controller and the one for user-accessible slots) work.
> controller      card0
> controller      card1
> device          pcic0   at card?
> device          pcic1   at card?

I'd add pcic2 and pcic3 and lose the "controller card1" line.

We've used my LinSys EC2T in the machine successfully.  We'll be using
a 3c589D with it as soon as we get one from Frys that they haven't
re-shrinkwrapped without the dongle (grrrr!).  Gorgous display -
very nice machine!

Best of luck,
K^2
--