Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:01:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone working on a DOMEX scsi driver ?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> I've just bought a Mustek SCSI scanner, and it is bundled with a
> seemingly very simple SCSI controller built by a DOMEX company (from
> Taiwan)

Throw it away.
Throw it as far as you can, then drive over it with you car.  :)

> Does someone know where there could be some info ? (perhaps a driver
> under Linux ?)
> PS : the board identifier is DMX3191D - the chip itself seems to be a
> Domex536

Great scanners (I have 3 1200LSes at various locations), but the SCSI card
is useless.  It doesn't even support IRQs, so it operates in polled mode.
This means your CPU is 100% busy while scanning.

There IS a driver for Linux, but the card is still terrible.

Solution:  Buy an NCR810 based card for $30, and find a 50 pin
miniSCSI-miniSCSI cable instead of the 25 pin, and don't look back. :)

According to the SANE port (Scanner Access Now Easy) documentation, some
Mustek scanners do not support disconnect/reconect, so you almost have to
have them on their own SCSI bus.  The 1200LSes I have all support
disconnect/reconnect, and the one in my den also has a CD-R and CD-ROM on
the same SCSI chain, so you don't need that silly single target card.

Later......						<Doug>

P.S.  I have 3 of these cards if anyone wants one.  :)