Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:12:22 -0500
From:      Kim Scarborough <sluggo@unknown.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory problems

I'm encountering problems because of a somewhat screwy configuration and was
wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I'm running 4.8-RELEASE-p1 on a machine with a 1200-mhz CPU and 64MB of RAM.
The swap partition is 112 MB; I was running out of swap so I added a 256MB
swapfile on /usr. Adding RAM, unfortunately, is not an option.

Because (I assume) of the really fast processor and low memory, the machine
frequently goes bezerk. Basically when any process takes a lot of memory
(like, say, running "grepmail" on several files, or running vim on a 10MB mail
spool), the load suddenly shoots through the roof and the box becomes
unresponsive until a reboot.

Anything I can do about this? I'd rather processes just die for a lack of
memory than having the box go down anytime a user on there does something
memory-intensive. What options do I have? And should I delete that extra swapfile?

Kim Scarborough                                  http://www.unknown.nu/kim/
"Football combines the two worst features of American life: violence and
committee meetings."
                                                                -George Will
Now listening to: Aqua Regia - "Aqueous"