Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:17:10 -0400
From:      Matt Johnson <mattj@maine.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound card problems (Yamaha xg)

ok, thanks for the help.  OSS sort of works (although it seems to be
unstable and crash, and I'm not sure I want to pay for that if it's so
unstable).  But what I'd really like is an internal FreeBSD driver for it,
rather than resorting to 3rd party (and commercial, yeck) software.  When
OSS is loaded, I do cat /dev/sndstat and it says:

Kernel: FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #2: Mon Sep 27 22:34:38 EDT 1999
    matt@europa.damnsw.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/EUROPA

Card config:
Yamaha YMF724 at 0xe6820000 irq 10

Audio devices:
0: Yamaha DS-XG (YMF724F) (DUPLEX)

so is there any support for this in -current or -stable? (as you see, I'm
still running -release)

[and also, the sound seems to be higher treble and less bass then sound on
the same headphones coming out of the Mac, is this just a matter of the
software that I'm using to play it or what?]

Thanks, Matt