Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 96 15:24:48 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        xiyuan@npc.haplink.co.cn (xiyuan qian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to remove the DOS parity?

>> From lehey.pad@sni.de Tue Mar 26 21:25:14 1996
>>> I have seen someone with the same question: how to remove the DOS
>>> parity which will be not used forever, but unfortunately, I did
>>> not see the answer. I think you can help me.
>>
>> I wish I could, but I'm not sure what you are talking about.  What do
>> you mean by "DOS parity"?  Can you describe it in other terms?
>
> Sorry for my poor expression. I think the right word is "DOS
> partition", which take almost half of my hard disk, now, I do want
> to remove it, how to unmount it?

Yes, that sounds like the DOS partition.  If you want to completely
get rid of your DOS partition and use the whole disk for FreeBSD, the
easiest way is probably to reinstall FreeBSD.  In the disk slice
editor, delete everything, and create a single entry for FreeBSD.

It should also be possible to delete the DOS partition using
/stand/sysinstall from a running system.  This is potentially
dangerous: I don't think that sysinstall will stop you from deleting
your own slice while you're running.  If it works, however, and if you
can create a second FreeBSD slice, you might be able to mount this
slice as another set of file systems.  Possibly somebody who knows
disk partitioning better than I could comment; whichever way you go,
consider this very much an experimental option.

Greg