Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:48:27 +0500
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YP-like mySQL thing

Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've made a patch to libc to allow YP-like extension of passwd file using mySQL.
>
> I can share it if anyone is interested, and I need an advise: how should I
> rebuild libc.so (or what else?) so that shared executables would pick
> libmysqlclient.so without rebuilding?

I am very interesting in it. Actually, I need getpwent and getgrent to look at
PostgreSQL database.
But it is very similar to mySQL in the way of function calls. And it is much easier
to change your code slightly than the original libc code.

About dynamic loading lib*.so from libc.so - I have the same question.

It would be nice if FreeBSD has an abstract layer for getpwent/getgrent, similar to
PAM in the concept (you can name it "Pluggable Authorization Modules" :-)  Are
there any plans of implementing this in 4.0?

--
        Konstantin V. Chuguev.          System administrator of Southern
        http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/      Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,