Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:53:20 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Yves" <yves@realtek.com.tw>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to update driver ?

Hello Yves,

  Thanks for your interest in contributing!  To continuously maintain a driver
in FreeBSD you would normally become a "committer" and have committ rights to
the FreeBSD source tree.  You have to spend some time at this because first
you need to be subscribed to the freebsd-current mailing list, and second you
need to run a FreeBSD system that tracks FreeBSD-Current, which is the release
train that all the active development is done on.

  However if you just want to modify an existing driver without doing this
then it may be possible to work with an existing FreeBSD developer.  In the
case of the Realtek driver, the name of the developer that is doing the work
on it is
Bill Paul.  You can see this by looking at the CVS tag, the one in if_rl.c
is this:

"$FreeBSD: src/sys/pci/if_rl.c,v 1.38.2.7 2001/07/19 18:33:07 wpaul Exp $"

you see the last modification is by wpaul on 7/9/2001.  If you look him up on

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/staff-committ
ers.html

you see that his e-mail address is wpaul@freebsd.org as is listed on this
page.

  If that doesen't work then you can also send your modifications in via
the send-pr mechanism.  See the following page for instructions here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/contrib-how.h
tml

Ted Mittelstaedt

>Dear sir,
>
>    Our company, Realtek semiconductor Corp., is an IC design house and many
NIC >chips such as RTL8139C are designed by our company.
>Now, we have a new NIC chip, the RTL8139C+, which can lower CPU utilization.
And we >have modified the driver of rtl8139c to support
>the new features of our C+ mode chip. This modified driver has been tested in
our >company lab and it is fully compatible with old 8139C NIC.
>If possible, we hope to update the driver source to suppot this new chip and
we will >continuously maintain this driver.

>Sincerely,

>Yves Sheu
>Realtek Simiconductor Corp.
>N0. 2, Industry E. Rd. IX, Science-Based Industrial Park, Hsin-Chu, Taiwan,
R.O.C.