Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:40:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ntfs causing kernel panic

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 25 March 2002 at  9:41:09 -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > Has anyone seen mounting an NTFS drive casing a kernel panic?  I'd
> > love to give the output, but I'm not sure how to redirect the output
> > into a file so I can post it here.
>
> You need to take a dump and analyse it.  There's some stuff in the
> handbook about how to do it.

It could be this problem is a result of the loadable VFS module bug
hacked/fixed in the tree this morning.  Was the NTFS driver being loaded
as a module, or compiled into the kernel?  If a loadable module, could you
try compiling it into the kernel, or updating past the fix?  If already
compiled in, follow the directions grog pointed at to generate useful
debugging output.  Ideally, a copy of the full panic message, stack trace,
and information on what kernel options you linked with so that the symbol
offsets are useful.