Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 05:44:47 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        KATO Tsuguru <tkato@prontomail.com>
Cc:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>, FreeBSD Bugs <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports/40488: CUPS now relies on a special version of Ghostscript for printing on non-PS printers

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 05:24:24PM +0900, KATO Tsuguru wrote:
>> I do not think that is necessary. I prefer to add the driver to the
>> existing ghostscript-gnu. Everybody's got ghostscript-gnu installed,
>> anyway. I think it's less hassle this way.
>
>Since there is no valid method to control *_DEPENDS, it
>shouldn't be so easy to add third-party drivers which
>require external libraries to current ghostscript-gnu
>port without drastic restructure.

Well, the patch was larger than this port, and I hadn't got to the
install part yet.

>Setting aside that issue, CUPS rasterizer is not necessary
>for every FreeBSD user. Ghostscript users who has no printer
>don't need CUPS rasterizer. CUPS users who has no non-PS
>printer also don't need CUPS rasterizer.

Very true: e.g., I have an HP PS printer. I was going to have a
WITHOUT_CUPS knob to turn it off, but ..

>Moreover, there is no actually usable CUPS driver package
>for non-PS printers except Gimp-Print at present. I guess
>it's pretty reasonable to separating CUPS rasterizer from
>existing ghostscript-gnu package.

It's starting to look like you're correct on this one.

>Here is an experimental implimentation of CUPS rasterizer
>port. I would like you to utilize it if my opinion is
>acceptable.

I'll patch up a couple minor glitches (e.g., lib depends on cups-base).
I'm a little leery of patching the postscript code, but let me try this
out.

If it works, then thanks very much. You've saved me a lot of work. :)

--
AlanE