Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:20:56 -0000
From:      "Chris Phillips" <Chris@furrie.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Dmesg filled with "arp: link address is broadcast for IP address"

Hello,

I've had an annoying connectivity failure with a Windows 98 SE client
just now & left a ping running to see if any wire wiggling I did was
helping...  I duly forgot about this!

While doing something else, (just about to post about apache2 &
frontpage), my dmesg was filled with this: -

   arp: link address is broadcast for IP address 10.6.8.22!
   arp: link address is broadcast for IP address 10.6.8.22!
   arp: link address is broadcast for IP address 10.6.8.22!
   arp: link address is broadcast for IP address 10.6.8.22!

Then I put the suspect host on to DHCP & on reboot I got this in dmesg:
-
   arp: link address is broadcast for IP address 169.254.14.80!

So, it's presumably down to this "dodgy" device...?
(still not functioning btw...  But its new IP kind of gives that away
doesn't it!)

It's connected & lights the port up on the switch (even flashing with my
pings)

I've tried searching google & previous posts on the mailinglist to no
avail...  Any Ideas Chaps?

Chris Phillips

System Details can be found here: http://www.furrie.net/Aphrodite/

intY=20has=20scanned=20this=20email=20for=20all=20known=20viruses=20=28ww=
w=2Einty=2Ecom=29