Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:42:06 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Eric Long" <eric@metrotv.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sqwebmail Installed - What Now?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Long" <eric@metrotv.com>
To: <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:31 AM

> >> I have installed sqwebmail from the ports collection and can
> >> successfully get the login page but do not know where to go from
here.
> >> Searches on Google and the list archives have not produced any
help. Can
> >> anyone point me to documentation on what I need to do to configure
> >> sqwebmail?  I can't login using my account and am sure I must do
some
> >> configuring before it works.  I am using the Courier IMAP daemon
> >> successfully with an MS Outlook Express client.  I want to use
> >> sqwebmail instead.
> >
> > If you insist on sqwebmail, I briefly attempted to use it and
couldnt figure
> > it out. If you just need some type of webmail, I'd recommend
squirrelmail
> > (www.squirrelmail.org). It's easy to configure and works with
Courier IMAP.

> http://inter7.com/sqwebmail/
>
> You need to be running a mailserver with Maildir support, I assume
you're
> already doing so.  Are you running the courier mail server or qmail?

I'm successfully using Postfix with the Courier IMAP daemon.

> Reading the INSTALL file within the sqwebmail archive will answer just
about
> all of your questions.  There are at least a dozen configuration flags
that
> you must use in order to get sqwebmail to work properly on your
system.  I
> don't think the default config/install has ever worked for me.

I've read that and IIRC, PAM was part of the default install but access
via the passwd file (authpwd?) was not.  I've tried editing pam.conf but
no luck.  I don't really understand how PAM works but from what I've
read, it's just supposed to work if the right entries are in pam.conf?
I guess I need to learn more about PAM.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for your response.

Drew