Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:53:26 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Ras-Sol" <ras-sol@usa.net>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, "Felix-Antoine Paradis" <reel@idemnia.ath.cx>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

In message <054e01c084b5$6c4ee270$800a280a@speedera.com> "Ras-Sol" writes:
: And btw, does anyone else completely DETEST the "/etc/rc.conf" -
: "/etc/defaults/rc.conf"?

I don't.

: Why can't we just have ONE file, instead of one file, plus an override file?

Because we had one file in the past.  It was a nightmare to support.
Even with mergemaster there were all kinds of headaches that it caused
and support nightmares for the folks who answer questions in the
-stable and -current mailing lists.  A defaults file gives us the
ability to tweak the defaults over time and to add new defaults which
you don't get in the one file case.

This will likely never change back to one file.  Get used to it.

Warner