Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:25:37 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <bkrueger@plexmedia.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl will not compile

Benjamin Krueger wrote:

> Trying to install from /usr/src/contrib/perl5 leaves me with the
> following during 'make':

Build from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl instead

> Installing from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl fares no better:

Oh.  Err.  Hmm.

> root@mars:/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl# make all install
> ===> libperl
> make: don't know how to make
> /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/config.h. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
> root@mars:/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl#

All I can suggest is to try

cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl
make cleandir
make cleandir         (yes, do it twice)
make obj
make depend
make all install

If it still doesn't work, make sure that your source tree is perfectly
clean.  In particular, make sure your attempts in /usr/src/contrib/perl5
didn't leave any mess in that directory which could be a problem.  If
you're not sure what needs keeping and what doesn't, the easiest way is
probably to blow away /usr/src/contrib/perl5 and cvsup again to make
sure it's perfectly clean.  Or you could probably write a script which
deletes any file which isn't listed in your cvsup checkouts file.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D