Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 21:30:25 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        Bart Lateur <bart.lateur@skynet.be>, dave <dmehler22@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a cdrom as a normal user.

On Sat 2000-04-01 (14:12), Marty Leisner wrote:
> The linux mount program is setuid and has a user fstab option.
>
> I definitely like it...it solves this problem...
>
> I have cdrom entries in my fstab of noauto,user
> and don't have this problem.

FreeBSD can mount filesystems as a user.  Without an additional,
possibly insecure, setuid program.  Just 'sysctl -w vfs.userload=1',
and set your device and mount point permissions accordingly.

Or, simply create two setuid scripts that each do exactly one thing
- the first mounts a specific filesystem in a specific place, and
the other unmounts the specific filesystem in that specific place.

Look in the FAQ, the "System Administration" section, and the "How
do I let ordinary users mount floppies and other removable media"
question.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner