Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:05:50 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, Gabriel Mark Mains <gmains@damn-cool.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer sharing for Macs?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:31:23PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> One trick I do is I use a spool on a server, all clients send jobs to
> the spool, the spool only then sends them to the JetDirect.  Of course
> doing it that way you can't mix protocols (ie: appletalk, direct jet
> printing, etc) it all needs to be lpr.   I also agree with you about
> workstation spooling directly to the JetDirect, it's stupid and bogs down
> the workstation, negating the benefits of the print server card.

NetATalk can register the Unix machine as an Apple printer then place
the jobs in the lpd queue. The problem with this is that some apps
(namely Adobe Acrobat Viewer) expects to conduct a bidirectional link
with the printer before deciding what it needs to do.

Have never had the problems described with 10's of Macs in the queue
at a single printer, speaking Apple protocol.

As for queuing the jobs at the workstation rather than a server, I
like it. Job should stay where it originated until the printer is
ready. Its easier this way to cancel or move to another printer. The
only disadvantage is that for very heavy printing it doesn't provide
for a printer farm where the job goes to the first available printer.

A single print server spool does allow for centralized accounting
and monitoring of who is consuming paper and toner.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net