Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:59:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ian Cartwright <ian351c@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgear MA401 and WEP

> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ian Cartwright <ian351c@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello eveybody,
>
> BTW: I am posting this from Yahoo because either @home
> is blocking mail from freebsd.org or vice versa; sorry
> for the garbled formatting...
>
> Anyway, I've posted a couple timed before with no
> replies. But now that 4.4-R is out maybe there is time
> for someone to take alook at this...
>
> I have a Netgear MA-401 that I have been unable to get
> working under FreeBSD.  The card works fine under
> Windows 2000. The card works great in FreeBSD  without
> WEP. When I enable WEP I lose my connection to my
> access devica (a Netgear ME102). I have scoured the
> archives, with no luck. I've tried -STABLE for the
> last few weeks, following freebsd-mobile in some hope
> of finding someone with a similar issue. I have tried
> wicontrol, ifconfig, setting via the command line,
> setting in rc.conf, setting in pcccard.conf, and
> setting in start_if.wi0, all with no luck.
>
> Here is some info about my current setup:
> - The card works with WEP disabled
> - My WEP key is entered in hex
> - I am trying to attach to a Netgear MA-102 Access
> Point which   only supports  40 bit hex keys
> - wicontrol looks like it is doing everything properly
> (correct   keys, ssid,  etc.)
> - ifconfig looks OK too, except "authmode" is NONE and
> I cannot   change it to  anything else
>
> Here is a copy of my start_if.wi0
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -t 11
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n IansWireless
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -c 0 -p 0
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -k 0x1111111111 -v 1
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -T 1
> /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -e 1

Read the wicontrol man page. '11' is NOT a valid entry for -t. You
probably want to leave it at its default. '0' is not valid for -p and
is default for -c. If you are running 4.4 or stable, '1' is the
default for -p although I just noticed that the man page has not been
updated.

You probably only want/need:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n IansWireless
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -k 0x1111111111 -v 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -e 1

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)