Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:40:23 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to restore 'getty'

Last week my server rebooted spontaneously while running 'portupgrade', and
froze during initialization of  local packages. Luckily, I have been able
to get in using SSH from another terminal. The problem that shows up in
/var/log/messages is: "init: can't get /dev/console for controlling
terminal: Operation not permitted". After doing some research, I tried
running 'getty' and my session froze. It looks like the 'getty' binary
somehow got farkled (stray alpha particle?).

So I went to /usr/src/libexec/getty and tried to run "make install". I got
the error message: "install: getty: No such file or directory". I'm sure
there's a way to do this without building world. Can someone direct me to
the solution?
--
Roger