Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:28:48 -0400
From:      Boris Crosby <bcrosby@eos.hitc.com>
To:        "Mikko Grönroos" <greenie@mpoli.FI>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2x3com NICs

--------------3A577474EADF4CE6F364BE54

You might want to check and see if the cards are configured to use the
same IRQ.  If you configured them that way you need to reassign one to a
different IRQ.  Also chech to see if you have any plug&play devices that
are assigned to the IRQ of one of you cards.

Boris.

Mikko Grönroos wrote:

> Help, I need somebody.. HELP, well ok, you get the picture.
>
> So, I have two 3com NICs in the same computer. They are same
> model (3c509) and so on. I have compiled a support for them
> to the kernel and in visual kernel config (*start computer*
> -> *hit space* -> boot -c -> visual) they both seem to work
> OK (ep0 and ep1). But when I check that same stuff in
> CLI - mode it says that both cards aren't enabled? WTF?
> And when I go to visual mode it looks like that they are
> enabled? What's the problem?
>
> OK, I booted the computer (both NICs enabled (at least the
> visual kernel configuration says so)) and when it's that
> magical time to say "Hey hey, I here" - to ifconfig (in
> the bootup) ep0 seems to work fine but then ifconfig
> doesn't "find" ep1. Strange? or?
>
> Oh, and I also tried to work it out with sysinstall, but
> it doesn't probe ep1.
>
> And I am sure as sugar that when I check those cards in
> the boot's configuration in visual mode. It says that
> both cards are enabled.
>
> Help me out guys (and gals),
>
> -Mikko Grönroos
>
> --
>     _ _ _ _
>    |\       \
>    | \ _ _ _ \  >> Bring me flowers, godseyes and boxes of air.
>     \ |       |     - CJ & Fish, another fine Berkeley release.
>      \|_______|

Boris Crosby

--------------3A577474EADF4CE6F364BE54

<HTML>
You might want to check and see if the cards are configured to use the
same IRQ.&nbsp; If you configured them that way you need to reassign one
to a different IRQ.&nbsp; Also chech to see if you have any plug&amp;play
devices that are assigned to the IRQ of one of you cards.
<P>Boris.
<P>Mikko Gr&ouml;nroos wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Help, I need somebody.. HELP, well ok, you get the
picture.
<P>So, I have two 3com NICs in the same computer. They are same
<BR>model (3c509) and so on. I have compiled a support for them
<BR>to the kernel and in visual kernel config (*start computer*
<BR>-> *hit space* -> boot -c -> visual) they both seem to work
<BR>OK (ep0 and ep1). But when I check that same stuff in
<BR>CLI - mode it says that both cards aren't enabled? WTF?
<BR>And when I go to visual mode it looks like that they are
<BR>enabled? What's the problem?
<P>OK, I booted the computer (both NICs enabled (at least the
<BR>visual kernel configuration says so)) and when it's that
<BR>magical time to say "Hey hey, I here" - to ifconfig (in
<BR>the bootup) ep0 seems to work fine but then ifconfig
<BR>doesn't "find" ep1. Strange? or?
<P>Oh, and I also tried to work it out with sysinstall, but
<BR>it doesn't probe ep1.
<P>And I am sure as sugar that when I check those cards in
<BR>the boot's configuration in visual mode. It says that
<BR>both cards are enabled.
<P>Help me out guys (and gals),
<P>-Mikko Gr&ouml;nroos
<P>--
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _ _ _ _
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; |\&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; | \ _ _ _ \&nbsp; >> Bring me flowers, godseyes and boxes
of air.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \ |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- CJ &amp; Fish, another fine Berkeley release.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \|_______|
<BR>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message</BLOCKQUOTE>

<PRE>--&nbsp;
Boris Crosby</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>