Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:23:40 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

> Well, we *already* have over a dozen /etc/rc.* files on -current.  And
> we *don't* have the advantage of a consistent interface to control all
> the functions in /etc/rc. If you break things up, then if you need to
> restart the mail server, just go "/etc/rc.d/sendmail restart". dhcpd?
> "/etc/rc.d/sendmail/dhcpd restart". Etc.

Actually, the point is that writing TONS of scripts to get your work
done (that's what Linux world does) always pissed me off.  You have a
shell script that is in fact a wrapper for another shell script, and like
this in turn it goes on and on and on again.  Icky! :-)  I don't like
how Linux smells.

Why can't I simply write kill -1 `cat /var/run/sendmail.pid`?  I don't
consider it being sagnificantly longer than writing /etc/rc.d/sendmail
restart.  After all, if your typing speed is good enough, it doesn't
really matter whether you type in 30 or 20 chars.

--
	JMHO,
	DAN Fe